Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden  

DieBruderschaft.com

Die Junge Mittelalter-Community heißt euch Wilkommen. Hier findet Ihr alles Rund ums Mittelalter wie z.B.: Schwert infos,Infos über frühere Religionen und Musik

Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 0 Antworten
und wurde 66 mal aufgerufen
 News
jcy123 Offline

08.05.2019 10:13
July. Carolina Panthers? Antworten

In her early days in the United States, Australian basketball player Erin Phillips recalls feeling like maybe she was inadvertently getting away with something. The portions of food served here seemed ... well, out of proportion. At first she would wonder, Shouldnt I have to pay more for this?For the most part, though, Phillips acclimated well to the United States, which has been the case for a lot of the Aussies who have come here to play in the WNBA. And as the league celebrates its 20th anniversary season, we should take time to celebrate the many players who contributed to the success of the league-- even though the United States wasnt their home.The Australians, in particular, have had a significant impact on the WNBA. From the most decorated of the Aussies -- three-time MVP Lauren Jackson -- to even those who spent only a brief time in the league, the contributions from Down Under have made a difference.Twenty-seven native-born Australians have played in the WNBA, along with five others who were born elsewhere but have Aussie citizenship. This season, there are five active Australians in the league: Phillips (Dallas), Penny Taylor (Phoenix), Rebecca Allen (New York), Jenna OHea (Seattle) and Abby Bishop (Seattle). Its an Olympic year, meaning other Aussies are sitting out the WNBA season to train with their national team, the Opals. But some of them will be back in the WNBA next year.Maybe culturally we adapt because its similar, Phillips said of how successfully many of the Australians have adjusted to life in the United States. Having played in Europe, that was harder for me. I think theres probably almost a taste of home in America, a home away from home. I think its a key component of why we feel so comfortable here.There have been some exceptions, including center Liz Cambage, who was drafted No. 2 by Tulsa in 2011 but has played in only 53 WNBA games.The Tulsa Shock are now the Dallas Wings, and Phillips is in her first season with that organization. She already had a home in McKinney, Texas, so it was pretty much a perfect fit for her.But Phillips has been a good fit on all five WNBA teams that she has played on, starting with Connecticut, where she was drafted in 2005 and debuted 2006.Phillips has been on two WNBA championship teams -- Indiana in 2012 and Phoenix in 2014 -- and shell be on this years Australian Olympic team.She recalls that when the Sun first picked her, Phillips -- who is from the Melbourne suburb of Carlton -- went to the atlas to make sure exactly where Connecticut was.I didnt think I would get that kind of opportunity, Phillips said. I just thought America was too far.But like so many of her compatriots, Phillips got used to that. The Aussies in the leagues early years helped pave the way.Phoenix Mercury coach Sandy Brondello was raised on a sugarcane farm outside the coastal town of McKay in Queensland. She learned to play basketball on a grass and dirt court in her yard.Someone taught me a jump shot at the age of 14, and thats what I practiced all the time, Brondello said. I grew up living in the country, but the basketball was good in our area. We had some really talented players and coaches, and they mentored me.She made the Australian national team at 16, and went to the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra when she was 17. Shes been a frequent traveler ever since.Brondello came to play in the WNBA in 1998 as part of the first real wave of Aussies. Six of them arrived in the league that year, all following the first Aussie pioneer, Michele Timms, who started with Phoenix when the WNBA launched in 1997.Brondello had been a professional basketball player for well over a decade before joining the then-Detroit Shock in 1998, including a long stay in Germany where she met her husband, fellow coach Olaf Lange.Competing in the WNBA was a new test that Timms, Brondello, and fellow Aussies like Tully Bevilaqua and Kristi Harrower were eager to face. Even if the WNBA was just getting off the ground, the Aussies still believed in it.I felt like Id proven myself over in Europe, said Brondello, who in total would play 18 years professionally. I had visited Michele in Phoenix and was amazed at the support that they had and the level of play. I wanted to challenge myself against the best.In 2001, three Australians were picked in the first round of the WNBA draft, two of whom became major stars in the league: No. 1 overall selection Jackson, and No. 11 pick Taylor.The only thing that ever stopped Jackson was injuries; the accumulation of them finally ended her career this year at age 35. Jackson had not played a full season in the WNBA since 2010, when she led Seattle to its second league championship.This week, Storm fans will get to say a proper thank you to Jackson, who is not just the best Aussie, but on the short list of best womens players in the history of basketball. Seattle will retire Jacksons No. 15 jersey on Friday as the Storm face the Mystics at KeyArena.Jackson, from Albury, Australia, is the daughter of two basketball players and was a standout almost as soon as she first picked up a ball. The 6-foot-5 Jackson played 10 full seasons and parts of two others in the WNBA, averaging 18.9 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.8 blocked shots for her career.She raised the bar, Phillips said. And just the way she played, with so much aggression and passion. I dont think Ive ever seen anybody who just wanted to win so badly every time they stepped on the court. What shes done for basketball in Australia is unmeasurable.Taylor, though, is actually the Aussie who has the most WNBA titles, with three in her 13-season career. A Melbourne native, Taylor started in Cleveland, but is now in her 10th year in Phoenix, where she is beloved by the X-Factor, the Mercurys fan base.In some ways, Taylor best exemplifies the more difficult personal sacrifices that the Aussie players have faced in their global basketball pursuits. During her years playing in the WNBA, both of her parents have passed away. Shes had to make the most of family time back in her home country in relatively short periods.You wont hear the Australians complain about this, because they tend not to complain about much. They brought their national team spirit to the WNBA, a get-it-done-for-each-other sense of purpose that has defined Australian basketball.The Ausies take a certain satisfaction in knowing that the WNBAs 20th anniversary would not be the same story without their contributions. They all will say, as Brondello did, that they wanted to play at the highest level. But the reality is, theyve helped make the WNBA the highest level.Thats ingrained in us right from the beginning, Phillips said. If you look at the first ones in the league, those players set the standard of, This is what youre going to get from Australians in the WNBA.We have a lot of pride in that. Our reputation is something that we want to keep strong. That competitive spirit leads us to leave home, and come over here and sort of fly the Australian flag. Nike React Sale . It says Pocklingtons lawyer filed the appeal Friday in a California court. CTV Edmonton also says Pocklington gave a $100,000 cash deposit as part of the conditions of his bail, and that he will be out on bail until his appeal is heard. Cheap Nike React Shoes . After a replay, the winner will meet Sunderland in the quarterfinals. Sagbo did well to control Sone Alukos right cross and fire past Brighton goalkeeper Peter Brezovan. Aluko was making his first start in four months after recovering from an Achilles injury. http://www.cheapnikereactaustralia.com/ . Anthony Calvillo, through 20 CFL seasons, was frequently invincible and largely stoic in the heat of competition. But underneath the professional exterior he was, and is, compellingly human. Best Nike React Shoes . -- The plastic that was taped across the lockers in Oaklands clubhouse came down and the champagne that was on ice went back into the cooler. Nike React Sale Australia . 31, the CFL club announced Monday. The team also has yet to decide on the future of Doug Berry, who began the season as a consultant to the head coach but took over the offensive co-ordinators duties in July. Carolina Panthers?quarterback?Cam Newton?donned purple and gold?cleats as a tribute to Prince prior to Sundays game against the Minnesota Vikings. Take a look:The cleats are made by Under Armour and are part of Newtons C1N styyle.dddddddddddd ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton offered another look here.--?David DeChant ' ' '

Sprung  

M.C. Klein

Listinus Toplisten Hier gehts zu  Mittelalter Top 100
Xobor Erstelle ein eigenes Forum mit Xobor
Datenschutz